System Design and Evaluation
applying human factors research to ensure the efficient, safe, and comfortable use of products and equipment.
RCS offers these services:
- Task analysis to define the behaviors, information needs, and performance criteria for human activities.
- Application of human factors to the design of products and equipment.
- Hazard and safety analyses.
- Information needs and optimal formats for displays, control panels, and computer screens.
- Analysis of visual requirements, optical characteristics, and perceptual effects of viewing conditions.
- Development of manuals for operation and maintenance of products and equipment.
- Development of safety and instruction labels (according to ANSI Guidelines).
- Ergonomic and usability evaluation of work stations, tools, products, and equipment.
Sample of past experience:
- Studies of human perception
- 15 years of aerospace industry R&D – major projects included
- aircraft camouflage and visibility
- driving simulator development
- long duration, low event driving
- alcohol interlock device evaluation
- development of aids to detect chemical agents
- participant on “blue ribbon” panel to develop a long range human factors research program for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- development of a handbook for design reviews of new US Navy aircraft
- consultant to the Navy for the design of the F-18 flight simulator
- factors that affect eyewitness identification
- several patent disclosures; one patent awarded for a vision testing device
- Safety analysis for a new US Air Force generator
- Contributor to the Human Factors Engineering Guidelines and Preferred Practices for the Design of Medical Devices, ANSI/AAMI HE48-1993, Human Factors Design Process for Medical Devices, ANSI/AAMI HE74:2001, and current revisions
- Usability studies of commercial products
- Workload evaluation of an aircraft copilot console upgrade
- Ergonomic evaluation of work stations for product manufacturers
- Instructor of Ergonomics, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, and Psychology
- Committee member for the development of a major simulation facility at SUNY/Buffalo for the study of extreme event mitigation
- Quality Assurance Observer for the construction of a SUNY/Buffalo research building
- Design of control panels and monitor displays configurations for medical control system devices
- Operations and maintenance manuals for commercial products, including the design of safety labels to ANSI standards
Some notable past clients:
US Air Force
US Nuclear Regulatory
US Dept. of Transportation
US DoD ARPA
Bausch & Lomb